Formerly titled African Free School No. 2 until 1850 when the Board of Education of the City of Brooklyn gained control over all public schools and changed its name, Colored School No. 2 was a school designated for black students and led by the self-sustaining free black community of Weeksville. Eventually, the school, like its sister schools, was absorbed into the public school system of the City of New York.
The volunteer for this site listened to the memory of Black Brooklyn and race-based segregation in schools and with a silent gesture of approval, did not hesitate to walk over to and be photographed near the visibly worn building.
Used with Permission